Thursday, April 4, 2013

And she's off!

So it's been about 3 weeks since I started out, and I'm still loving it! I've been doing surgeries just about 3 times every week, and I'm now completely confident with cat neuters, and confident, although still a bit slow, at cat spays. Soon I feel like I'll be able to take on some other different procedures. I love surgeries in the morning, it's quiet and kind of soothing and I've enjoyed chatting with the nurses while I work.

I'm now fairly confident with consulting, and I'm able to keep to the schedule in most cases, at least for straightforward things. I've had to ask the other vets for their opinion a few times, and often look up things in my book when prescribing medications, but clients so far have been really understanding and I think they're just happy that I'm trying to be accurate. Plus the nurses are fantastic and usually know which meds are for what condition and they often have them out on the counter before I finish saying what it is I want. I'm still mostly seeing vaccinations and microchip appointments, but more and more I've been taking on other things, like ear infections, skin infections, a few lameness checks, and some that come in for something straightforward and end up being complicated. I actually like those best, because I'm not expecting any condition in particular, I get to work the case up myself from the beginning and learn from it.

I've also gotten to do some xrays and an ultrasound, which was really fun, as imaging is my special interest. The practice has digital processing for the xray machine, which is fantastic, and despite the xray machine being completely old school, it's really easy to use and I think is less finicky than the new ones with all the crazy buttons and automated everything. Since I've only just started I've been running my interpretations by the other vets, but so far we seem to agree, so that's a good sign!

I've had a few stressful moments, but I think overall I'm doing a good job, and every day I get a bit more confident in the basics, and more confident taking on the less straight-forward cases.

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it - there is no better or more satisfying job than being a vet! I wake up every morning excited to go into work, not only because the people are awesome, but because I feel like I'm challenged every day and learning loads, and being kept busy. Sure it's tiring, and I do enjoy my days off, but I go to sleep at the end of the day knowing that I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing! I hope that feeling never wears off. :D

No comments: